Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
This is a quote that I really agree with. It is easy to be a good person when things are going well. In addition, I think I grow the most during times of challenge and controversy. Maybe it is simply that these are the times that I notice it the most, but it seems like the most substantial growth occurs during the hardest points in life.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
As a pacifist, this is a really cool quote. Hating those who hate me isn't going to help anything. It will only end up in more hate. But if I make the decision to bring in some love, the darkness can be extinguished. In my experience this is harder than it sounds. But it is a phenomenal idea that is definitely worth every effort to do.

No comments: